List:       nessus
Subject:    Re: nessus/nmap breaks obsd 2.6 ?
From:       Tor Houghton <th () nextra ! com>
Date:       2000-10-26 9:08:29

* Renaud Deraison (Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 10:39:59PM +0200)

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 06:25:51PM +0200, Tor Houghton wrote:
>
> If you start a lot of nmaps at the same time, and if your box has little
> memory, then this is a bad thing, as it runs out of memory. Even though
> the BSDs behave better than Linux in case of such a shortage (Linux
> prefers to lock everything up, in case of doubt), they don't like that.

Yes; I understand what I did wrong now. I misread the "number of
connections" (under the Nmap: configuration section) to be part of the
Nmap settings, when it in fact had to do with simultaneous logins.

I changed the "number of threads" in the Scan section to 1, which made
things very much more bearable.

Thanks for pointing this out.

(I still have trouble with W2K though; so I now resort to using Linux on the
client side -- though this means I have to be conscious of which OS I need
to be in before I start a scan! (Having both options would be nice :))

But I'll try to sort this out later.

Regards,

Tor