List:       nessus
Subject:    Re: Serializing a port scan
From:       Simon John <nessus () the-jedi ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-02-12 14:09:24

Ron Gula wrote:

[snip]
> Typically when someone mentions slowing down a port scan, I suggest
> they look at the credentialed port scanning and process enumeration
> technique:
>
> http://blog.tenablesecurity.com/2008/09/how-to-perform.html
>
> If you have credentials, this is the fastest way to perform a full
> port scan without creating network traffic.

The problem with credentialled scans is that its not going to help you
test host-based firewall rules, tcp_wrappers or software ACL's are doing
their job, as netstat will report the ports as open anyway.

I just checked and was quite relieved that Nessus when using netstat
does take notice of the interface you're scanning - i.e. if you have a
service only listen on eth0, Nessus only records it if you're scanning
eth0 and not eth1

P.S. When are we moving to the forum and closing this maillinglist?

--
Simon John
nessus at the-jedi.co.uk