List:       nessus
Subject:    Re: need direction
From:       "George A. Theall" <theall () tenablesecurity ! com>
Date:       2007-05-31 13:40:57

On 05/30/07 10:52, Harvey, Jack wrote:

> I start nessusd from /etc/rc.local.  Starts fine.  I have a series of
> shell/c++ programs that do things like prepare the list of servers that
> will be scanned, check the time for the start of the scan, email the
> scan results, etc.  If I am logged in, these work fine.  I would like to
> start the main calling shell program from rc.local as well.  If I do
> this, the nessus scan (from command line  of course) never runs.  It is
> skipped. All the rest of the programs complete…useless without the
> scan.  Please point me in the right direction for running nessus NOT
> logged in…

If the nessus scan truly doesn't run, perhaps you need to adjust the
PATH so that the client can be found.

If it does run but errors out, do you see anything in the logs (eg,
nessusd.messages or syslog)? Does it help to specify the full path to
the client config?

If it starts but hangs, the client may be prompting you to validate the
server certificate, which you can avoid by using the "-x" commandline
option or resolve by copying the file 'nessusrc.cert' from the home
directory of the user that you typically run the client as into root's
home directory.

George
--
theall@tenablesecurity.com