List:       nessus
Subject:    Re: Running NASL on command line returns no results on known
From:       Erik Stephens <erik () edgeos ! com>
Date:       2004-10-28 15:18:19

On Oct 28, 2004, at 7:54 AM, Chuck Gwan wrote:

> OS of scanning host:  Linux 2.4.21
> Nessus version:  2.0.12
>
> If I run a full nessus scan on "10.0.0.1", I get a lot of warnings and
> a couple of security holes listed.  One of the security holes listed
> is generated by openssh_36.nasl.  I am doing all of this from the
> command line.
>
> However, when I run:
>
> nasl -T /tmp/debug -t 10.0.0.1 openssh_36.nasl
>
> I get no output at all.  Nasl just returns with a return value of 0.
> I have included the debug below.  What should nasl be returning, I
> know this machine should trigger that rule.  If I want to test a bunch
> of machines against a single nasl rule on the command line, what is
> the best way to do this?

That plugin seems to get the banner from the knowledge base:

banner = get_kb_item("SSH/banner/" + port);

Using nasl from the command line, the knowledge base is effectively
empty.  This is a common gotcha when using nasl from command line: make
sure the plugin doesn't critically depend on the knowledge base.

Best regards,
Erik Stephens
    www.edgeos.com
                                                 Managed Vulnerability