List:       nepomuk
Subject:    Re: [Nepomuk] Nepomuk File Metadata widget
From:       Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2012-12-20 15:49:45

Hi,

2012/12/20 Vishesh Handa:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 8:47 PM, Frank Reininghaus
> <frank78ac@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Vishesh,
>>
>> 2012/12/20 Vishesh Handa:
>> > Hey Frank
>> >
>> > I know I'm very very late, but I finally fixed the few annoying bugs in
>> > Nepomuk2::FileMetadataWidget, and even made it show data when Nepomuk in
>> > not
>> > running.
>>
>> Sounds good, thanks!
>>
>> > I think this satisfies all the conditions that you had.
>> >
>> > Would it be possible to use it for 4.10? I would really like it cause
>> > then I
>> > don't have to fix the bugs in KFileMetadatWidget for 4.10. I've attached
>> > patch which uses it instead of the KFileMetadataWidget.
>> >
>> > Current problems -
>> >
>> > 1. When right clicking on the file -> Properties -> Information. This
>> > Information is supposed to be the same as what is displayed in the
>> > Information Panel. However, its code resides in kio, and cannot be made
>> > use Nepomuk::FileMetadataWidget.
>> >
>> > 2. Configure Shown Data -> Internally, Nepomuk's FileMetadataWidget also
>> > uses the same config file, but this might have problems. Maybe I should
>> > have
>> > my own different config file.
>> >
>> > I really want to get this into 4.10 cause it makes my job a lot easier.
>> > don't need to maintain the kdelibs/nepomuk code then. It would also make
>> > bug
>> > fixing a lot easier.
>> >
>> > What do you think?
>>
>> We are in hard feature freeze since November 8 [1], so it seems to me
>> that this can only go into the master branch.
>

> Well. I was hoping you wouldn't consider this a feature. It's just a port of
> KFileMetadataWidget to Nepomuk2.

1. If its "just a port", then I don't get why you had to fix a "few
annoying bugs in Nepomuk2::FileMetadataWidget".

2. This isn't my decision to make anyway. Exceptions from the freezes
can only be granted by the release team.

3. The freezes are there for a reason. The idea is that any big
changes get wide testing in the betas and RCs. If we make the change
now, there would only be the RC2 left for any testing. And you should
know that some users use applications in ways that developers never
think of, so I would say that it's not unlikely that there are bugs
left.

> At the end, it's your call. There are significant advantages of moving to
> the new MetadataWidget. Since the previous one used a separate process, it
> could not utilize any of the cache, and had to query the db each time a file
> was selected. Considering that Dolphin internally uses Nepomuk to show a lot
> of metadata, the data would already be loaded in memory and we wouldn't have
> to query for it again and again.
>
> I hate the idea of users having to wait 8 months to get these improvements.

In other words: you hate the idea that there are 2.5 months, two betas
and two RCs between the hard feature freeze and the stable release?

> Anyway, it's your choice.

No, it's not. There are rules that everyone has to follow, and any
exceptions have to be discussed with the release team.

Best regards
Frank