List:       nepomuk
Subject:    [Nepomuk] kde-4.4, virtuoso-6.1.0, and virtuosoconverter
From:       toma () kde ! org (Tom Albers)
Date:       2010-02-04 15:16:34

Op Thursday 4 February 2010 16:02 schreef u:
> On 02/04/2010 07:43 AM, Sebastian Trueg wrote:
> > Rex Dieter wrote:
> > > FYI,
> > > http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Nepomuk+Virtuoso+Converter
> > >
> > > 1.  The requirements for kde-4.4/nepomuk have changed pretty late in the
> > > game (after all 4.4rc's).
> >
> > No, they did not. I always said that Virtuoso 6 would be the dependency
> > for KDE 4.4.

You can not add a new dependency for KDE 4.4 the day before the release without \
testing. I consider it a new feature which is not allowed since ages. for KDE 4.5 \
I've planned to add it to the release schedule explicitly to make it even more clear. \
It is too late in the cycle for 4.4 to change this dependency. Really. Some packagers \
can not add a new dependency to their repository in one day and have prepared the KDE \
4.4 packaging based on the 4.4 release candidates we have given them. Please don't do \
this.

> Fact is that we're in a bad situation of now requiring something that's
> been untested and it's data is incompatible with what was tested.

+1
Unacceptable imho.

> > Anyway, the converter is hacky tool allowing early adopters of KDE 4.4
> > who already tries Nepomuk with Virtuoso 5 (and thus, compile
> > themselves!) to easily convert their data.

Distro's who have provided RC's to their users are now more or less obliged to run \
that script. Virtuoso was made a hard dependency (at least for anyone compiling \
kdepim) so all svn users also need to update.

Best,

Toma