List:       nedit-discuss
Subject:    Re: hosting wanted for nedit.org
From:       Joor Loohuis <joor () loohuis-consulting ! nl>
Date:       2011-02-16 13:32:50

On 10-02-11 23:29, Emmanuel Florac wrote:
> Le Fri, 04 Feb 2011 14:26:23 +0100 vous écriviez:
>
>> If you have the means and are willing to adopt the domain, please drop
>> me a note, or throw it on one of the mailing lists. If there are no
>> takers, we will archive the domain.
>
> I can't get access to the real thing (CVS down on sf.net) but I've put
> up a static mirror on http://nedit.intellique.com for anyone interested.

Sorry for not responding earlier. Emmanuel, thanks, this is great.

I've communicated on and off list with some people on how to host the
existing NEdit resources, preferably preserving search engine indexing.
My suggestion is the following:

* Add the existing static mail archives in a subdirectory of the mirror
that Emmanuel has set up, and point www.nedit.org to the mirror.
Emmanuel, do you have room for another 350MB of static HTML in your mirror?

* create corresponding lists on SF, and import the subscribers in it,
either as members or just inviting all existing members to join the new
list. The old list names will stop working, but the archives will persist.

* use the SF download system to offer downloads, and possibly add
mirrors. The setup for the FTP mirror as we had it can't be maintained,
but if

* optionally: use the 'hosted app' solution on SF to run a mediawiki
instance, and import the current content of Niki.

Any comments on the above?

This all hinges on someone being able to update the nedit.org DNS
records. Does anyone have access to those?

Also, someone with extended privileges on the SF project will need to
make some changes. My privileges aren't sufficient.

--
Joor Loohuis, MSc

Loco (Loohuis Consulting)
Training, consultancy, hosting, and building
Specialized in Open Source solutions

http://www.loohuis-consulting.nl/