List:       nedit-discuss
Subject:    Re: Future of Nedit for people who care about Free Software
From:       Erik de Castro Lopo <nedit-erikd () mega-nerd ! com>
Date:       2007-12-02 20:06:04

Andrew Hood wrote:

> Don't try tarring NEdit with the same brush as LessTif. Or OpenMotif for
> that matter.

After previous discuss I had come to the conclusion that any problems
I was seeing was purely due the lesstif/motif. I took that as a given.

The fact that the binary available on nedit.org is also rock solid is
further proof.

I apologise if I didn't make myself more clear.

> > For me, that means that lesstif is too broken to fix.
>
> Did you bother submitting a bug report to LessTif?

I joined the mailing list and asked about current status. All I
heard was crickets and other users saying "this list is pretty
quiet". Noone stepped up and said "yeah, I work on this".

I looked at the CVS logs. Nothing but minor bug fixes from
the distros in 3-4 years.

To me, that looks like abandonware.

> Did you bother submitting a bug report to Ubuntu?

Yes.

> While you might like
> their bleeding edge code, you can't expect it to be as stable as a more
> conservative distribution.

They ship Nedit 5.5 which is not bleeding edge. They ship it linked
against OpenMotif 2.2.3 which is not bleeding edge.

> We have no issues with any of the proprietry Motifs.

Except that you can't fix bugs in closed source software.

> With the exception
> of cygwin, all the rest can legally use OpenMotif.

Source code available, but not Free Software. I am not going to fix
bugs in source code that is under a non-free license.

> I don't have an AMD box. I do have a EM64T bit Intel box. I can put 64
> bit Slackware on that and try a 64 bit NEdit and OpenMotif.

The problem is, all of the issues I am having is on 32 bit. The ubuntu
nedit/openmotif works quite well on my x86-64 box.

Erik