List:       nedit-discuss
Subject:    Re: Curious about next version and developer updates
From:       Thorsten Haude <yoo () vranx ! de>
Date:       2007-05-29 17:30:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

* Offer Kaye wrote (2007-05-29 17:25):
>On 5/29/07, Thorsten Haude wrote:
>If it didn't work on them, I'd be forced to use vim and probably my
>head would have exploded years ago or something :)

No, with vi your head would *im*plode, you confused that with Emacs.

>But really, as a user, I would also love to see new features.

We are all users, so we'd want that too.

>NEdit project last release was almost 3 years ago. While I don't
>expect any time commitment from a free project, what doesn't grow,
>will eventually wither and die. How many people will still be using
>NEdit in 2, 3, 5 or 7 years from now if it doesn't give them the
>features they want, compared to other solutions?

You asked for the developer gossip site. If you had been around the
last years you would have read some quite heated discussions about
this.

Basically, I consider Unicode to be the most important thing to add,
all other changes are secondary. To get Unicode, I think NEdit needs a
major cleanup. (At least that's true for me, better coders might be
able to still know their way around the mess.)

So I'm against any change (except bug fixes) until the cleanup is done
and Unicode is in. At the very least, we should have a roadmap to know
when to expect these two.

Other developers disagree and want to add new features right now; the
last time that happened however, the design was made even worse
(broken DRY and Low Coupling) and a memory leak was introduced. This
could happen with any new feature added, so I want to postpone them.

>Probably morally wrong of me to ask other people to contribute time
>and effort to a project they won't get paid for, so I volunteer to
>help with the new docs, if a NEdit ever gets new life. At least I can
>help a little :)

There are more ways to help than just code. Look around here and on
the developer's list and you will see them easily.

(That said, coding is fun, everyone should do it!)

>I'll shut up about this now, regardless of what you decide.

Please continue to give us input.

Thorsten
--
In dem Augenblick, wo wir anfangen unsere Freiheitsrechte
einzuschränken, besorgen wir das Geschäft der Terroristen.