List:       nedit-discuss
Subject:    Re: Limited font selection (no truetype)
From:       Adrian Blockley <adrian () blockley ! id ! au>
Date:       2005-03-08 12:30:01

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:46:28 -0500
Scott Tringali <scott.tringali@etnus.com> wrote:

>  Adrian Blockley wrote:
>
>  > For some reason the font selector in nedit gives me a very limited
>  > selection of fonts that doesn't reflect the range of fonts that I
>  > have installed on  my system. I have a number of non-proportional
>  > true type fonts installed but these never appear in the font
>  > selector. Does anyone have any hints as too why these fonts do not
>  > show?
>
>  It's difficult for me to tell.  I never had any luck getting
>  server-side  ttf working on Linux at all.  (It worked fine on X on
>  Windows, so one  would think it's easy, but not so.)  I got working
>  once they  reimplemented the entire font system client side.
>
>  These days, on Fedora Core 2, I can use ttf fonts but only in very new
>  applications that have toolkit support for client-side fonts.  NEdit
>  doesn't have this because we're tied to Motif.
>
>  I believe someone has made a patch as a workaround, but this will only
>  get you fonts in the main editing window - the menus and buttons are
>  still controlled by Motif.
>
>  Run "xfontsel", and see if you can pick your font there.  That will
>  tell  us if you are trying to find a special server-side font or not.

I've checked using xfontsel and can see the truetype fonts but note that I
only have a limited range of fontsizes.  The frustrating thing is that at
work I had nedit running with true type fonts under redhat 9.0 at work but
can't get it to work at home using gentoo...

Thanks for the suggestions tho'

Adrian

--

"There are only 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who
understand binary, and those who don't."

Adrian  Blockley
32 Darwinia Loop
Canningvale WA, 6155

Ph: 08 9256 1953