List:       nedit-discuss
Subject:    Re: nedit weirdness
From:       Eddy De Greef <degreef () imec ! be>
Date:       2005-02-11 8:54:05

On 02/11/2005 09:19:18 AM, Geary, Mark wrote:
> Andrew Hood wrote:
> > Geary, Mark wrote:
> > >
> > >    NEdit 5.5
> > >    Sep 30, 2004
> > >
> > >         Built on: HP/UX, PA-RISC, HP C [?]
> > >         Built at: Oct  4 2004, 09:50:15
> > >       With Motif: 1.2.4 [@(#)OSF/Motif Version 1.2.5]
> > >    Running Motif: 1.2 [unknown]
> > >           Server: WRQ, Inc. 11
> > >           Visual: 24-bit TrueColor (ID 0x20, Default)
> > >           Locale: C
> > >
> > > using nc and got the following on stdout. Is my environment set up
> > > wrong, some how?
> > >
> > >    nedit: getpwuid() failed - reverting to $USER: Permission denied
> > >    nedit: getpwuid() failed - reverting to $USER: Error 0
> >
> > The only place I see code that could give that is in util/utils.c
> > where it is trying to find the user's logon id.
> >
> > Any clues why getpwuid(getuid()) would fail on HP/UX?  According to
> > the man pages n Linux, getuid NEVER fails, and getpwuid only fails
> > with ENOMEM. Yours looks like it might be failing on access to
> > /etc/passwd so you might check those permissions
>
> I guessing that this is the binary distributed on the nedit website. I
> just compiled nedit fresh and I don't see the error. This is an HP-UX
> 11.11 system. Can anyone say whether the binary from the website was
> compiled on 10.20 or 11.0? 11.0 is supposed to be 100% upward
> compatible with 11.11. I think 10.20 is mostly upward compatible, but
> not 100%.

10.20, and it runs fine on 11.0 here.

> Oh, I didn't mention that this error only shows with nc, not nedit.

Someone had this problem before:

http://www.nedit.org/pipermail/discuss/2004-November/006700.html
http://www.nedit.org/pipermail/discuss/2004-November/006706.html
http://www.nedit.org/pipermail/discuss/2004-November/006717.html

I don't know what the exact problem was, but maybe Amir can help you out.

Eddy