List:       nedit-discuss
Subject:    Re: Nedit should support visible control characters
From:       Thorsten Haude <yoo () vranx ! de>
Date:       2005-02-01 23:26:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

Let's discuss the focus issue in another thread. Please find out how
your window manager affects this and open another thread id things are
still unclear.

* Michael Shell wrote (2005-02-01 04:06):
>Thorsten Haude <yoo@vranx.de> wrote:
>> Michael Shell wrote (2005-01-31 03:30):
>> Funny, Firefox gives me an error I've never seen before on all three
>> files.
>
>What version do you have? My FireFox 1.0 (under Linux) is able to grab
>them OK.

The error is gone already. Don't know what the problem has been.

>> I don't think that single width is a valid option for Unicode
>> characters, so this will not work really well.
>
>If there is a visible text glyph for that character then it should be
>displayed as such regardless of its "width", if it is a nondisplayable
>ASCII control character (< 0x20, 0x7F) , then I'd want a "mini-two-char"
>(e.g., LF, 01) glyph to show what it is.

I don't think it's that easy. I don't even say that It'd be hard. What
I really wanted to say is that Unicode might pose problem that are not
solvable if you focus too hard on single width characters. So any
solution of the special character problem we discuss now should keep
Unicode in mind.

>Multibyte sequences are quite another matter - I guess one could just
>display the hex codes of each the bytes - what else are we to do?

Well, display the character of course.

>Well, later I will try and take a look at your suggestions/code.
>Now, to be clear, is there any precedent within Nedit for displaying
>a single "glyph" that is composed of two smaller symbols (at 1/2
>the main text font size) or is this something that is so foreign
>to the way the editing window currently works so as to be a show
>stopper?

It would be somthing new, but I don't think it would be impossible.
Two thoughts that might help:
- The glyphs could come from an internal font, and NEdit knows how to
do fonts. This font would not need to match most font characteristics
(serifs etc.) since it would not show letters. Anyway variants could
be added if people would be unhappy with the default.
- The glyphs displayed would not have to match anything in the buffer.
I agree of course that adding newlines wouldn't be easy, but at least
the buffer would be unaffected.

Thorsten
--
The privacy of correspondence, posts and telecommunications shall be inviolable.
    - German Grundgesetz, Article 10, Sec. 1