List:       nedit-discuss
Subject:    Re: Cygwin issues?
From:       Joerg Fischer <jf505 () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-07-16 22:35:18

>My impression (possibly incorrect) is that all Cygwin ports of X
>applications under Cygwin are officially (as much as anything is
>official) administered by the Cygwin/X group.

If someone distributes something he should also give support about
it.  You can't expect to get help here about a paticular nedit
binary that whoever may distribute -- how should this work? See
directly below.

> > What are these issues?
>
> I have had to start using a wrapper script around NEdit because of the
> HUGE number of error/debug messages that it spits out to stderr.

I'm not aware that the nedit binary for cygwin available from
nedit.org would issue regularily messages to stderr. However I can't
say much about the binaries that the Cygwin/X project distributes,
since I don't use them.

Perhaps you can post a dozen or so (please not all) of these
messages and I'll do my best to guess what's wrong.

> I have also experienced infrequent crashes but I haven't been able to
> isolate the situation that produces them.

There can be many reasons for crashes.  After all, don't forget that
you are using an emulation on top of Windows. Moreover, when you
look at the release history of Cygwin, many versions didn't get very
old. What I mean is that they release so often, that I can't believe
that they have time to test thoroughly -- more likely is that their
test is to let the users test it. IMO it isn't advisable to install
always the latest cygwin dll - this may not be the stablest one.

But, of course, a crash can also be caused by an NEdit bug.

> > However, there is a work around macro, so this shouldn't be an
> > issue?
>
> I don't remember the details of this macro which means that either I
> didn't see it or it didn't work for me. The NEdit site doesn't seem to
> support searching the mailing list archives any more so I can't check
> further.

It uses google and this works rather well.  Anyway, I needn't search
since there is a download link on my pages
http://nedit.gmxhome.de/nedit/win-update-54.html

Cheers,
Jörg