List:       nedit-discuss
Subject:    Re: Plug-ins (was GDE-2)
From:       Tim Hubberstey <timh () marmot-eng ! com>
Date:       2003-05-28 21:56:21

Joerg Fischer wrote:

> >It seems like nobody remembers about server/client design of NEdit. All
> >this things about opening/browsing files could be delegated to some
> >framework. In fact NEdit is one of the best and most natural candidate
> >to use with GDE.
>
> Yes, but there will always be folks that think it is cool to have
> everything in one program ;-)
> But seriously, it is hard to decide what to include and where to stop.

I know very little about designing and coding large programs like NEdit
(being primarily a hardware guy). That said, it would seem to me this
would be a good reason to have some kind of plug-in architecture to
handle this. This would fill the apparent gap between things that it
makes sense to do as macros and bigger jobs (like file-open browsers and
project managers) that would add a lot of bulk to the base version but
would be too large/slow as macros. Is this in NEdit's future?
Marmot Engineering . . . . . . .  VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems
Vancouver, BC, Canada  . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.marmot-eng.com