List:       nedit-develop
Subject:    Re: Bad failure mode
From:       Tony Balinski <ajbj () free ! fr>
Date:       2006-06-22 21:57:11

Quoting Scott Tringali <scott.tringali@etnus.com>:
> There may be a couple ways of handling [reloading a broken file].
> Undo would be one, as Jeff notes.  Another thing would be to load
> up some sort of preview during the interrogation, so you can make
> an informed choice.  Or a combination.  Other ideas?

I think the inclusion of the re-read in the undo list is a great
idea. It's not a panacea, though: if you're "editing" a growing log
and you reload (possibly as a result of file change notification),
your memory usage becomes pretty bad. (Undo will give up if a change
is too large IIRC.) Suspicious changes, especially re-reading a
prefix of the current buffer, perhaps zero-length, could have special
treatment.

As for reporting failed file writes, nedit should signal that as a
warning dialog at least.

My 2 rappen, anyway.