List:       nas
Subject:    Re: Real Audio on an NCD Xterminal
From:       Greg Renda <greg () popeye ! ncd ! com>
Date:       1996-04-17 17:14:00

sss1001@mrao.cam.ac.uk writes:

> I'm new to this list and not very clued up about NCD audio.
> I ususally login from an Xterminal running NCD software and I
> listen to sound using the ncd audioserver version 2.1. I have been trying to
> use certain sound utilities, for example the Real Audio player
> raplayer, but I always get an error that goes something like
> : Cannot open /dev/audio'
>
> How do I get programs that are looking at /dev/audio to use the
> ncd audio server? How do I "tell" these programs to use the
> audio device that belongs to my Xterm in particular.

Audio programs that try to open "/dev/audio" usually cannot be
redirected to NAS instead.  If the program has an option to direct its
output to stdout then you might be able to set up a pipeline using
some combination of auconvert and auplay to get the job done.  If you
were really clever and wanted to direct all /dev/audio output to a
single NAS server then you could replace /dev/audio with a named pipe
that another process would read and send to the NAS server.  But,
since there's no way to tell what NAS server the output should go to,
this is not a general solution.

-Greg