List:       nanog
Subject:    Re: [EXTERNAL] Charter DNS servers returning malware filtered IP addresses
From:       "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink ! com>
Date:       2023-10-28 17:28:07

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Owen DeLong via NANOG" <nanog@nanog.org>

>> For a network feeding a data center, sure. For a network like
>> Charter's which is feeding unsophisticated nontechnical users, they
>> need all the messing they can get.
>>
>> If you're one of the small minority of retail users that knows enough
>> about the technology to pick your own resolver, go ahead.  But it's
>> a reasonable default to keep malware out of Grandma's iPad.
>>
>> R's,
>> John
>
> If it's such a reasonable default, why don't any of the public resolvers (e.g.
> 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9, etc.) do so?

It's a reasonable default behavior *for default resolver servers for consumer
eyeball networks*.

I knew that was what John meant, and I can't see any reason why you wouldn't
know it too, Owen; this isn't your first rodeo, either.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra@baylink.com