List:       nanog
Subject:    Re: Operational need for IP address space (Re: An update on the AfriNIC situation)
From:       Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog ! org>
Date:       2021-08-31 19:25:27

> On Aug 31, 2021, at 12:17 , John Curran <jcurran@arin.net> wrote:
>
> On 31 Aug 2021, at 2:23 PM, Owen DeLong <owen@delong.com <mailto:owen@delong.com>> \
> wrote:
> >
> > > Do we have parties who postulate their operational need based on entirely \
> > > internal services, or services that live within virtual devices in a data \
> > > center?   Sure…  and some of these are indeed legitimate and fulfilled per \
> > > policy.  We also have folks who get creative and make similar requests for \
> > > purposes of obtaining address blocks from ARIN – absent any bona fide \
> > > networking need –for subsequent monetization and these reviewed, revoked, and \
> > > can be referred to criminal fraud proceedings.
> >
> > Yes, but in the ARIN region, you have also made it very clear that if needs \
> > change, ARIN will not attempt to revoke or reclaim space based on that change in \
> > need.
>
> Owen -
>
> ARIN has full authority to revoke number resources based on breach of our \
> Registration Services Agreement (RSA) by a customer. We do exercise that authority \
> with significant caution, but will do so when the situation warrants – and I \
> would expect any other RIR to do the same in enforcing the particular terms of \
> their own RSA agreement.

Agreed. Nonetheless, you have repeatedly stood in front of the community and stated \
that if the only violation of ARIN policy is insufficient utilization, ARIN will not \
take action against the organization to revoke or reclaim the resources.

> As I understand it, AFRINIC has initiated a rather small number of resource reviews \
> after completion of its most recent database audit – one might argue that they \
> should have initiated more/fewer/none-at-all, but one cannot logically assert that \
> AFRINIC lacks the right to enforce the plain language of their RSA agreement when a \
> review indicates that a breach of that agreement has occurred.

Depending on your definition of rather small. I hear it's ≥ 1% of all resource \
holders so far and climbing.

> You also may not like that the AFRINIC RSA has recipients acknowledging that they \
> are 'bestowed with an exclusive right of use of those number resources within the \
> ambit of the "need" which it has justified in its application and for no other \
> purpose during the currency of the present agreement',  but please recognize that \
> "your client" apparently liked that provision well enough to agree to it in order \
> to receive the address blocks – so there's really not much more to be said in \
> this regard.

Please also note that there is a provision further down in the agreement for dealing \
with modifications as they come up.

Whether my client did or did not comply with that provision is a matter for the \
courts at this point and I can't comment on the exact nature of that particular issue \
as a result. However, I think there is adequate public information available to show \
that there is at least some legitimate dispute as to the facts of whether my client \
is is or is not in compliance with the RSA. I look forward to the courts decision on \
the matter as once that comes, I will be able to talk more freely regardless of the \
outcome.

Owen