List:       nanog
Subject:    Re: Force10 E Series at the edge?
From:       Brandon Bianchi <bbianchi () equinix ! com>
Date:       2012-03-29 6:28:12

Brent,

While the E300 can probably get your job done for more flexibility and growth I would \
personally steer you towards the E600 (or E600i now). It is slightly outside of your \
RU requirement coming in at 16 RU but it fits the bill otherwise.

The main reasons I make this suggestion is due to the fact that the E600i chassis \
gives you numerous options. The "standard" LC memory config is 10M, however you can \
buy cards with an increased 40M cam as well. Also Force10 has redundant route \
processors but takes it a little farther. The RPM which is redundant and supports \
hitless failover has three CPU's.

CP - Control Processor
RP1 - Handles the majority of the Layer 3 protocols
RP2 - Handles the majority of the Layer 2 protocols including sflow.

I could have that swapped in my head but its one way or the other. On the linecards \
you can change your memory allocation provisioning as well if need be, granted its \
more useful when you have the 40M CAM cards.

The E600i can also be configured two ways.. 1 as a TeraScale supporting 4x10G XFP \
linerate and 16x10G XFP OverSub as well as 1G, or an ExaScale supporting 10x10G \
linerate and 40x10G OverSub. As well as numerous 1G options as well, take a look at \
this chart:

http://i.dell.com/sites/content/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/Dell_Force10_Switch_Reference_Guide.pdf

Redundancy/Availability
1+1 redundant RPMs
4:1 redundant SFMs
1+1 redundant DC PEMs
2+2 redundant AC PSMs - 200/240 VAC
3+1 redundant AC PSMs - 100/120 VAC and 200/240 VAC

FTOS is quite polished these days as well, and command accounting does work. Its just \
not captured in the switch log, but does record just fine on the TACACS side:

2012-03-28 23:12:29 -0700 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx bbianchi vty0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx stop \
task_id=410 timezone=UTC service=shell priv-lvl=15 cmd=show interfaces description  \
<cr>

Id be happy to answer any specific questions you may have off list as well.

-Brandon

I have been supporting a large Force10 install base for a few years now and can \