List:       nanog
Subject:    RE: [nanog] Advice in dealing with BGP prefix hijacking
From:       mack <mack () exchange ! alphared ! com>
Date:       2008-09-29 21:27:01

First I would contact them, you have obviously done this and it didn't work since it \
happened again.

Second I would contact their major transit providers, assuming they aren't a major \
transit provider themselves. If you share mutual transit providers then you will be \
most likely to get satisfactory results. If you aren't a customer of their transit \
provider then you may not get anywhere.

Third you can contact ARIN to talk to the perpetrator and/or their transit providers.
This is one of their primary functions.

The final option is legal.
IANAL (usual disclaimer)
CMU probably has a legal department that may be able to request an injunction or file \
suit for damages. People tend to forget that when prefixes are hijacked there is \
legal recourse after the fact. Of course with the international nature of the \
internet legal recourse may be difficult or impossible. In this case with a US based \
ISP, the legal remedy might be feasible. This is long slow and doesn't help at all \
during an incident, but it will probably keep it from happening again.
ISPs are businesses and when it hits the pocket book they pay attention.

--
LR Mack McBride
Network Administrator