List:       namedroppers
Subject:    Implementation detail in DS-draft
From:       Olaf Kolkman <olaf () ripe ! net>
Date:       2001-08-07 13:35:48

Hi Olafur,

I'm trying to hack DS into Net::DNS I have a small implementation question.

In section 2.3 you allow a textual representation of the algorithm. I
have not seen this in other DNSSEC specs and I am affraid it might
lead to confusion and errors.

It could be confusing for system admins to find the propper way to
type the name of an algorithm.

RSA
RSA/SHA1
RSA-SHA1
RSASHA1

In perl this will be easy to implement with a couple of regexps but
if the exact names of the algorithms are not defined one might get
confusion while implementing.

Unless names are used for algorithms elsewhere in the DNSSEC
implementations I'd vouch for a number representation of the algorithm
only.

--Olaf