List:       namedroppers
Subject:    RE: Suggested modifications to the TSIG draft
From:       Stuart Kwan <skwan () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1998-09-30 22:45:13

Olafur, were you planning on incorporating all of Brian's points?  Or just a
select set?  A few comments:

> - [4.7] Special Considerations for forwarding servers: Should be removed.
> If a server forwards a query, it should strip the incoming TSIG record,
> and generate a new one if it shares a key with the next server.  This
> allows the message digest to include the request id instead of 0 (see
> above).

It may not be wise to select a new key, if someday these keys are used for
access control.  Also, I take it that you would select a different message
ID for the forwarded update, per RFC 2136?  Does anyone else have a comment
here?

>  * Computing the digest becomes simpler if the signature length &
>  signature fields are moved to the end of the record.  Is there any reason
>  why they are in the middle?

Jim Gilroy asked for this a while ago, but none of the authors responded.
Eventually we relented so the protocol would move forward.  Such is life,
but are we going to change it again?

Cheers,
- Stuart