List:       namedroppers
Subject:    deploying directories (fwd)
From:       Martin Hamilton <martin () mrrl ! lut ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1995-12-19 0:13:37

[apologies to anyone who's seen this already!]

This isn't strictly DNS related, but it would seem to have some
relevance to the DNS...  By adding an extra layer of indirection,
it becomes less attractive to use the DNS as a directory service.
Why try and remember _exactly_ the URL printed in an advert when
you could type in some variant of the company's name and get
straight to their Web server ?

There might even be a long term solution to .com here - if the
domain name of the server doesn't need to be shown to end users,
the incentive to register in .com is removed.  Distributed
indexing (centroids/CIP) makes it possible to search across the
data held in multiple servers without hitting each server in
turn.  We also have a handy way of locating White/Yellow Pages
servers for organizations, and I guess for naming authorities in
URN-like schemes, but that's another mailing list... ;-)

Phew!

This message is to appeal for some volunteers to try this stuff
out in practice.  Since generating those WHOIS++ templates for
.uk mentioned in the message below, I've tweaked the conversion
script so that it works on the whole Netfind seed database, and
generates the templates associated with each top-level domain.
You can pick these up from the "templates" sub-directory.  To
add index them with Digger, just type "digger_insert" and the
filename