List:       namedroppers
Subject:    Re: notes from Dallas DNSIND - multiple TTL values
From:       "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee () cybercash ! com>
Date:       1995-12-07 5:58:02

DNSSEC is even more stringent than indicated below.  SIG signs all RRs
with the same type/name/class.  To verify the SIG, you have to do it
on the exact original RRs that were signed *including TTL*.  This is
implemented by having the "original TTL" remembered in the SIG RR and
restoring it into all the RRs before doing the hash calculation, etc.
(The RRs might have been retrieved from a caching server that has
decremented the TTLs.)

I suppose this doesn't really require the original RRs to all have
the same TTL, it just imposes an upper bound on on their TTL (since
no security aware DNS server will let the signed RRs have a TTL above
the "original TTL" in the SIG) and it means you always have to use the
this right "original TTL" in all the RRs when calculating the SIG over
them.  In really, the program that processes the master file to add
SIGs, etc., will probably at least indicate an error on different TTLs
if not clobber all the RRs to have the same TTL...

Donald