List:       namedroppers
Subject:    Re: question on IP address change of a parent domain
From:       Dave Barr <barr () math ! psu ! edu>
Date:       1995-09-12 23:44:36

In message <9509122126.AA05712@tdcnet.ca.gov>, Sue Rodger- IP Administrator wri
tes:
>How long will it take for an address change for the nameserver
>of a domain to be propagated throughout the Internet.  I had
>thought it was tied to the serial numbers, refresh, and expire
>times.

Well, not quite.  The expiration of a resource record should take no
longer than the 'minimum' plus 'refresh' intervals.  In this case,
since this is a nameserver record, this assumes prior or simultaneous
update by the parent domain's glue data.  Also, if your parent has
a longer minimum interval than you do, you have to take that into
account.

--Dave