List:       namedroppers
Subject:    Re: Columbus IETF DNS WG meeting: announcement & agenda
From:       Megan Davies <mdavies () CNRI ! Reston ! VA ! US>
Date:       1993-03-25 15:26:50

Hi Rob,

Thanks for cc'ing me on this.  I just posted it to the IETF Announcement
mailing list.

Megan

--------

To: Namedroppers@nic.ddn.mil
CC: Rob Austein <sra@epilogue.com>, Megan Davies <mdavies@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 22:25:23 EST

The Domain Name System (DNS) working group will be meeting on Tuesday
afternoon from 4 to 6 next week in Columbus.  Here's the current
agenda.  Please send any changes to me (mail to <sra@epilogue.com>,
please use a meaningful subject line).

We've got a lot of stuff to cover, so unless we can dispose of much of
it quickly we may need to schedule a second session.  Tasks without
supporters willing to undertake them will be slated for demolition; if
you care about what we're doing but can't attend the meeting, holler.

REQUIRED READING:
* Current DNS WG charter from an IETF mirror site near you.
* RFCs 1034, 1035, 974, and RFC 1123 section 6.1.

AGENDA:

* WG administrivia / reorganization: picking a set of tasks, deciding
  whether the current WG is the right body to achieve these tasks.

* Old business: scaling (aka "splitting the .COM zone"), DNS MIB
  status, cleaning up "dead" tasks from old DNS WG charter.

* Wish list for new DNS features: DNS security/robustness (from
  "just as good as IP" to crypto stuff), incremental zone transfer and
  dynamic update, "label" QTYPE for DNS DIRED, load balancing (SA RRs,
  CIP RRs, TGV subzone hack, etcetera).

* Documentation of existing implementation experience: DNS
  implementors guide and/or requirements for DNS implementors, DNS
  operators guide (revision of RFCs 1032/1033), DNS implementation
  catalogue.  Suggested reading: RFCs 1032, 1033.

* DNS and Routing/IPv7: PIP (Susan Thomson, Bellcore), X.400
  "temporary" routing mechanism, DNS-based IP routing (RFC 1383), NSAP
  RRs status, IDPR RRs status (draft v0 published).  Suggested
  reading: RFC 1383, Internet Drafts on DNS & { X.400, NSAP, IDPR, PIP }.

* Future of the DNS working group.

--Rob Austein <sra@epilogue.com>