List:       namedroppers
Subject:    Re: nslookup question - no hosts
From:       cis.ohio-state.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!usc!sol.ctr.columbia.edu!ira.uka.de
Date:       1992-08-20 19:44:43

ce398@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Joseph Richmeyer) writes:

>name server.  This is causing all of our printers not to work. Is there a
>way to have nslookup check /etc/hosts first and if not found then go to
>the company nameserver?   Thanks in advance!
This isn't possible on most unix systems.

On some systems (DEC's Ultrix, MIPS RISCos, CDC EP/IX and maybe some other),
there is some way to configure the way the resolver libs does their lookup.
/etc/svcorder, or /etc/vis.conf

But the real solution is to register all of your IP Addresses with a
nameserver!!!

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger
--
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende