List:       namedroppers
Subject:    Re: navy.mil gone?
From:       ra!atkinson () MIMSY ! CS ! UMD ! EDU  (Randall Atkinson)
Date:       1992-08-25 16:07:34

In article <1992Aug24.134836.1@indyvax.iupui.edu> harvey@indyvax.iupui.edu writes:

>There are several other NAVY.MIL domains that only have two nameservers and
>don't appear to have an offsite backup server.  Others I've noticed include:
>
>    NTSC.NAVY.MIL
>    NRL.NAVY.MIL
>    NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL
>    NCTSW.NAVY.MIL
>    OCNR.NAVY.MIL
>    NNMC.NAVY.MIL
>    SPAWAR.NAVY.MIL
>
>In the case of the last three the two servers each have one interface on the
>same subnet, which is especially bad practice as Lars mentioned
>in his article.

Yup.  Though in the case of NRL, there is so much connectivity to our
location (multiple T3s connected to different networks) that it is less
of a problem than it might be.  Still there should be an off-site backup
nameserver.  I'm in research not operations, so I can't help work this.

>Many MILnet sites resisted using the DNS for a very long time.  Maybe this is
>a symptom of it...  :-D

  Much more likely to be inexperienced DNS admins.  The government has
an awfully hard time hiring and keeping competent Internet admins
because of the very restrictive hiring rules and relatively low
salaries.  As a result, lots of admins learn "on the job" whilst with
the government and leave once they get sharp enough to have outside
offers.  Here at NRL, our network operations folks are better than
average and do a generally good job despite inadequate resources.

  SPAWAR email is particularly badly configured -- the From: address
is not valid (replies always bounce) and there is no Reply-to: or

Ran
atkinson@itd.nrl.navy.mil
working for, but not speaking for, the Naval Research Laboratory