List:       namedroppers
From:       John Lyman <lyman () csupwb ! ColoState ! EDU>
Date:       1988-11-21 12:14:51

   A few months ago, an issue came up where sendmail was trashing out
addresses that looked like "blob@mach.at.edu".  It was pointed out at the
time that this was due to a rule that looks like:

      R$+ at $+       $1@$2           "at" -> "@" for RFC 822

   No one proposed any solution other than removing that line.  Well I'll
finally propose the solution that I implemented back then.  The reason
that this rule doesn't work, is due to the fact that sendmail ignores
the spaces.  The rule therefore, matches any occurrance of "at" that
comprises a full token.  Sendmail determines that tokens are separated
by spaces and the operators defined by the "o" macro.  So I suggest
that you find the line which looks like:

      Do.:%@!^/[]

Add a line after it like this one:

And then replace the previously mentioned rule with the following:

      R$*$~Oat$~O$*       $1$2@$3$4

   This will stop the gratuatious munging when "at" is surrounded by valid
operators.  I tested this, and have been running it for about two months
now, it works great.

					John Lyman
					University Computer Center
					Colorado State University