List:       namedroppers
Subject:    Re: Problems with Australia
From:       Robert Elz <munnari!mulga.oz.au!kre () uunet ! UU ! NET>
Date:       1988-01-05 8:47:40

    Date:        Mon, 4 Jan 88 09:15:48 EST
    From:        steve@cs.umd.edu (Steven D. Miller)

    First, it was my impression that somewhere
    Out There, there was a box advertising a MX record like:

    	*.au.	IN	MX	10 uunet.uu.net.

Its actually

	*.oz.au.	IN	MX	<something> uunet.uu.net.

Only addresses in the .oz subdomain of .au are handled currently
(there are now about hald a dozen other addresses that should be
handled .. nb: not hald a dozen domains, just half a dozen addresses).

    However, in poking about trying to find someone reasonable (like the person
    listed in the SOA record for AU), I found a query loop.
I'm not actually sure that there is an SOA for AU.  If there is, it
should point at me, or at Rick Adams (rick@seismo.css.gov).

    The nameservers for
    AU are supposedly ucbvax.berkeley.edu and seismo.css.gov.
That's right, seismo is the primary, ucbvax is secondary.

    I have a sneaking suspicion that either ucbvax's nameserver needs a
    good swift kick,
Maybe, I'll check it.

    or that it's not supposed to be serving AU.
It is.

    Does someone know the real truth?
Yes, I do, I administer the AU domain.  To solve your more immediate
problem, you can probably just send me some mail.

Robert Elz		postmaster@munnari.oz.au