List:       namedroppers
Subject:    re: questions about Domain Naming Transition
From:       POSTEL () USC-ISIF ! ARPA
Date:       1984-12-07 21:16:04

Mike Accetta (and all):

Good Questions.

In general, the way to be nice about changing names is to allow both
names for some transition period.

I believe that this is feasible in both the old system and the new
system for looking up names.  That is, the NIC HOSTS.TXT file may
have the new style names added to it (that was the whole point of having
".ARPA" added to the official names in it); and the Domain Servers may
have multiple names for the same host.

All the existing official names (e.g., USC-ISIF.ARPA) in the HOSTS.TXT
file are in the data base of the Domain servers now running on SRI-NIC
and USC-ISIF.

I think that new names should be put into use as soon as they are registered
with the NIC (according to the rules in RFCs 920 and 921).  That is, soon after
15-Jan-85.  For this to work the new names will have to be listed in both
the old system (HOSTS.TXT) and the new system (Domain servers).

I am not sure what we should do about the nicknames in the HOSTS.TXT file.
Personally, i would like to do away with nicknames, but that may be too
drastic.  If we don't do away with them then i think they must filled out
to fully qualified names (that is, have the ".ARPA" appended).

The Domain servers have the capability to look up an address and return
the name (or names associated with that address).  So if you know one
name of a host you can find the address, and if you know the address you
can find the other names.

The current Domain servers talk the UDP way.  Resolvers should be implemented
using UDP.

--jon.
-------