List:       namedroppers
Subject:    subdomain sizes
From:       allegra!watmath!bstempleton () Berkeley (Brad Templeton)
Date:       1984-05-14 19:58:19

Surely limits (like 100) should ONLY apply to top level domains.
Otherwise anybody who wants to be a subdomain should be one.  After all,
A host is a subdomain.  Even mark's "d.osg.cb" is not so bad.  It's
only two characters more than cbosgd and much more clear in meaning.
Especially when there are machines "a.osg.cb" etc.
In fact, I would suggest that any organization with more than ONE machine
be encouraged to make a subdomain.  After all, what's better?

watmath, wateng, watcgl .... (as we have now)
or
math.wat, eng.wat, cgl.wat  .... (as we should have) or even
math.waterloo, eng.waterloo

These are much clearer, and they let local users refer to their local
machines as just "math" and "eng" etc. provided the local name server
is a good one.  I think this is exactly what we want.