List:       namedroppers
Subject:    Re: Draft RFC on Requirements to be a Domain
From:       sun!l5!gnu () Berkeley (John Gilmore)
Date:       1984-05-04 1:04:00

"The name of the DOMAIN (up to 12 characters)..."

Are we still in the punch-card era?  Did someone allocate columns 28-39
for domain names on the triplicate Official Domain Appication form?

I suggest that if you really want to specify a limit, set it so high
that nobody will hit it.  10 years of experience proved that 14
characters was just not enough for file names in Unix.  Now it's 255
(in 4.2BSD).  When we realize that 12 is too small, how many programs
will have to be rewritten (or, as is typical, will fail in use and have
to be debugged)?

Unix file names are hierarchical too.  That doesn't fix the problem.