List:       namedroppers
Subject:    Re: DNAME [4.1]: DNAME as a Delegation Tool
From:       Edward Lewis <Ed.Lewis () neustar ! biz>
Date:       2006-10-30 14:39:17

At 15:49 +0200 10/16/06, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>I agree with Jim and Peter that it should not be in the DNS.

There are some things that are part of the DNS protocol and some
things that are not (but impact it).  Provisioning, registration,
etc., are not part of the DNS protocol, but delegation is.

When discussing an element of the protocol in the way this document
does - i.e., defining the syntax and protocol semantics, it is best
to leave any mention to the use of the element by applications to no
more than illustrative examples or the statement of the problem the
element is intended to address.

What I'm trying to say is that we ought not try to label the DNAME as
a tool for any particular use.

The DNAME isn't a delegation tool.  The NS is.  (And the DS is -
delegation of DNSSEC-brand security.)  The DNAME isn't for mirroring
parts of the DNS name space - "mirroring" generally means maintaining
an instantly complete copy of another object.

The DNAME is a non-terminal redirection element (in as much as a
CNAME is a terminal redirection element).  A DNAME is an instruction
to the look up process.  If anything, DNAME is a query redirection
tool.  Think of DNAME as a passive, rubber-padded wall that ping-pong
query balls hit and are sent elsewhere where they find what they are
looking for.  Passive - as in not part of the "operation" of
registration.

(I've always had a hankering to talk about padded walls and ping pong
balls in the same sentence.  Life goal #8 checked off.)