List:       namedroppers
Subject:    Re: QType: ADDR
From:       "Eric A. Hall" <ehall () ehsco ! com>
Date:       2002-08-13 16:34:28

on 8/13/2002 6:46 AM Robert Elz wrote:

> The issue is that meta queries have other problems (the ones Rob
> Austein pointed out) - there is simply no way to make them work
> properly (assuming that caches still exist - no difficulty if we were
> to do away with cahcing).

See the I-D for the mechanisms used to make it work.

> All the evidence is that use of ANY queries (other than for debugging,
> to answer the question, "just what data is in that cache") is falling
> from what small favour it had, as people are realising that it doesn't
> work.

A BCP to this effect would probably be a good idea, then.

A BCP telling people to read BCPs would also be a good idea. :)

> No, we don't have to worry about that, even if we do nothing.  It isn't
> happening, and there's no sign of it suddenly starting to happen.

As any designer of an idiot-proof system can tell you, God can always make
a better idiot.

> OK, but I think we can already discard it, don't you?

I think it bears some exploration. If it proves to be useless and more
trouble than it's worth, it will kill itself.

Let's discuss the I-D and whether or not it will work.