List:       nagios-users
Subject:    [Nagios-users] Dependencies and notifications
From:       "Litwin, Matthew" <mlitwin () stubhub ! com>
Date:       2010-07-25 6:24:38

Hello everyone, could I please ask for some assisntance / am-I-off-my-rocker soft of \
advice

I am working with using dependencies and I am having a problem that while \
dependencies are successfully suppressing the execution of monitors because their \
dependencies are not being satisfied which is what I expect, however notifications \
are continuing to go out, even though they have the same criteria, which is NOT what \
I expect because they are the same criteria:

        execution_failure_criteria      c,u,p
        notification_failure_criteria   c,u,p

The monitors that were held in the PENDING state because their dependency was never \
satisfied since the monitor was created are not sending notifications, but the ones \
that managed to "squeak in" a CRITICAL state read before further checks were \
suppressed thereafter continue to send out alert notifications.

This is not what my understand of how notification dependencies worked. Is there some \
other directive that I need to make it so monitors that are in a CRITICAL state do \
not send further notifications if their dependencies are not satisfied?

One this that I did that was unusual mas making a service dependency template to try \
to streamline my services.cfg so I didn't need to use a dependencies.cfg.

Here is the template:

define servicedependency {
        name                            generic-dependency
        execution_failure_criteria      c,u,p
        notification_failure_criteria   c,u,p
        inherits_parent                 1
        register                        0
}

and here is an example of a service that uses it:

define service{
        use                             standard-app-service
        hostgroup_name                  Apache
        service_description             Apache_Status
        servicegroups                   Apache_Status
        check_command                   check_apachestatus_nrpe!localhost
        }
define servicedependency {
        use                             generic-dependency
        hostgroup_name                  Apache
        dependent_service_description   Apache_Status
        service_description             NRPE_Available
        }

Is this just a case of me not understanding how dependencies are supposed to work or \
is something else weird going on here?

Thanks in advance for any help.