List:       nagios-devel
Subject:    Re: [Nagios-devel] notification inheritance
From:       Ton Voon <ton.voon () opsera ! com>
Date:       2010-05-25 8:17:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 24 May 2010, at 17:40, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> The documentation for object inheritance[1] indicates that where a
> notification_period is not available for a service, the
> notification_period from the associated host will be implicitly
> inherited.
>
> In my nagios configuration, I have a number of services which are
> applied to hostgroups.  Rather than inheriting any notification
> period, each service has a "NULL" notification period which is
> treated as a '24x7' period.  With the attached patch, nagios will
> check for a NULL period and use the period from the associated host
> as the documentation states will happen.
>
> I have no idea whether or not similar issues exist with the other
> implied inheritance values.

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the patch. Could you include a change to the test
configurations in t/etc which demonstrates the problem.

When you've made a change to the configurations with the inheritance
problem, you should be able to run t/900-configparsing.t and get a
failure, but with your code patch, it should then work as expected.

More details: http://wiki.nagios.org/index.php/Nagios_Core_Developer_Guidelines#Testing

Re-post with your test changes and I'll apply to the stable branch.

Ton