List:       nagios-devel
Subject:    [Nagios-devel] Profiling Shows Long Time Spent in Reaper (Possible
From:       "Steven D. Morrey" <smorrey () ldschurch ! org>
Date:       2009-07-16 17:00:16

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to run the event profiler on their system \
and see what comes up? The reason I ask is that after running the event profiler for \
a while here, I've noticed, that at least on my setup, upwards of 70% of the time is \
spent in the reaper. Admittedly this could be due to a misconfiguration on my part, \
but changing the service reaper frequency from 3 to 15 made things worse. My \
Used/High/Total Check Result Buffers: are  264 / 622 / 4096 respectively. My avg time \
per event for the reaper is 3.26 seconds it went up to 10 seconds when the frequency \
was set to 15. My hunch is it probably would have been longer but there is the reaper \
bailout after a certain amount of time.

However I'm using DNX and DNX writes directly to the circular results buffer, so the \
question is... What are the odds this is a problem with lock contention, or is there \
a more likely candidate.

Also I'd like to extend the event profiling metrics to find out for sure what's \
consuming all thing time, but before I do I was hoping someone more versed in the \
internals of Nagios could point me in the direction of what would be some good next \
things to measure. Even so, if someone could please run the event profiler on their \
system and see if your getting similar results that would be a HUGE help. Thanks in \
advance!

Sincerely,
Steve

 NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may \
contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, \
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, \
please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original \
message.