List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] Merging recordings from 2 backends
From:       jam <jam () tigger ! ws>
Date:       2023-11-08 8:44:24

> On 8 Nov 2023, at 11:17 am, Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 7 Nov 2023 13:28:37 -0500, you wrote:
>
> > The mythsgu option seems to be the best for me. I'll essentially be moving
> > all the recordings from computer B and decommissioning it once I get back
> > to backend A. I'll be doing it in a few months, so I'll bookmark this
> > thread. Can't wait to really explore mythsgu.
>
> If you are fully decommissioning computer B, then you should consider
> just moving its recording drives into computer A and adding them to a
> storage group.  Use mythsgu exportdir first in computer B, and then in
> computer A mythimport will find that the recordings are already in a
> storage group and will just import the .sql files and leave the
> recordings where they are.

I offer not critique, ask lest I understand amis.
How does storing all your recordings in Watch Recordings not in Watch Videos offer \
you any benefit? Do you cut commercials or just mark them and let mythtv do the magic \
? I find marking does not work eg if I watch on tv using UNLA. My wife uses an apple \
TV and I use mythtv for apple TV which also ignores cuts. Myth4Apple has another \
severe gotcha it does not see Videos, only Recordings, so being able to store \
recordings would help. I've not bothered to look, but I've no doubt mysql could help.

Another thing over the years chaos happens. Having a backup of Recordings-of-Interest \
is easier than a mythtv db dump that's suddenly a few protocol revisions out of date.

Finally whatabout having Recordings and Videos share the same location ?

James