List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] No-name Android TV boxes
From:       Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-01-19 18:51:13

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 6:06 PM Mike Perkins
<mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> They don't run Android TV, they run *stock* Android. That means you don't get things like Netflix
> etc built in.

The no-names are almost never certified/qualified,
so any app that requires the device to be certified
will not work.  And since they are not running
(true) Android TV, the apps one can download
from the various stores tend to have difficult
(to impossible) navigation as they are designed
for touchscreen navigation.

For the market these devices are typically
targeting (running kodi/plex/etc to your TV
with alternative content sources) that is not
much of a problem, but obviously caveat emptor.

At least in the US, the Walmart $20 ONN
(true) Android TV UHD streaming box has
been considered a reasonably good deal
and works with many of the well known
apps.  FD: I do not have one, and have no
plans to purchase one, so I have zero
knowledge if it works well with MythTV.
But at $20, and Walmart's excellent return
policy, it may be worth a try.