List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] Backend DB migration--replace or just restore?
From:       jam <jam () tigger ! ws>
Date:       2020-09-06 8:27:57

> On 6 Sep 2020, at 12:12 pm, lists@arewethere.net wrote:
>
> Following up on an old thread as I am about to upgrade to 20.04/v31
> and I have a question about the collation.
> I've run a fresh install of 20.04.1, added mariadb,
> then added the mythtv packages and sourced mc.sql,
> and tweaked the database permissions so the old password is respected
> (ALTER USER 'myhttv'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'the-old-password')
>
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2020 at 04:03:39AM +1200, Stephen Worthington wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > You want to do a full restore with drop and create.  The other options
> > are for when you have a bad backup or partially corrupt database. When
> > you have a good backup of a full database, you always want to just
> > completely replace the existing database.

I've, for ages. just done a db restore (mainly because I wanted to keep meta data)
All good except lots of tiny funies have crept in

All so trivial to not remember detail but for example ‘Forget Old' is broken.
I think I'll try a new database just preserving videometadata and recordings to see \
if a new db fixes the funnies but in any event be prepared to have to nurse the db. \
Also mythweb may have messed with the db in past times, so corruption there is \
possible. IIRC I setup a recording schedule, cancelled it, then tried to re-create \
almost the same schedule.

James