List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] mythtv v31 slave backend help needed
From:       jam <jam () tigger ! ws>
Date:       2020-07-20 0:56:39

> On 19 Jul 2020, at 6:27 pm, Jim Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Thanks, just a few questions. The need for a slave backend is for many reasons \
> > > and 2 that caught my mind were:
> > > 1.� adding more tuners.
> > >
> > > 2.� adding more storage.
> > >

> > > Having the tuners defined locally on the slave and no local video source makes \
> > > sense because I only use one video source and all my tuners could use it \
> > > because there are one set up OTA TV stations.
> > > However, I'm confused on the Storage setup.� The Storage Groups are all \
> > > defined on the master, but how is the slave local storage defined and used?� \
> > > It sound like you do all your recording on the master. A point on the remote \
> > > tuners: Using a source on another host is only possible if the remote tuners
> > are the same type.
> >
> > A source defines a method of tuning as well as a selection of channels. Different \
> > tuner types require different sources.
>
> So on my current master backend I have Hauppauge WinTV HD Quad PCIe card.  My slave \
> would have a HDHomerun Quatro, so different types of tuners.  They could use the \
> same list of channels provided by Schedules Direct, I think. The master backend \
> could do the scan on one of the WinTV tuners, but not the HDHR tuners, so it could \
> only establish input connections for the WinTV tuners, unless Mythtv can tell the \
> slave to scan the HDHR tuners?

Jim I'm a cynic, so questions are retorical:

12 tuners !! (For those who dont know HD Homerun will not do virtual tuners) (and I'm \
assuming 1 real + 1 virtual tuner per hw) For disk storage
  I use a NUC for my master:
  /dev/nvme0n1p5:
 Timing cached reads:   22212 MB in  1.99 seconds = 11163.35 MB/se
 Timing buffered disk reads: 6830 MB in  3.00 seconds = 2276.14 MB/sec

 If you want RaPi the Rock Pi gives about 1500 MB/sec on m2
 Also I have used Haupauge Dual HD and Leadteck Win TV on the Rock Pi (but do get the \
acer M2 from them)

So I see no need for master/slave BE for me.
I'm using 2 off Haupauge Dual HD and as a test I recorded 8 channels (don't recall \
but as many HD as I could find, at least 5) and performance (on an i3 NUC) was \
flawless. I too am an auld fart and in last 2 yaers I have never had confilt (on this \
setup). We get a burst of movies on sat, mon and fri with a derth midweek.
James