List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    [mythtv-users] Is it worth upgrading from an nVidia GT520?
From:       Jerome Yuzyk <jerome () supernet ! ab ! ca>
Date:       2020-01-12 20:13:09

[29.1 on Fedora 26 for now]

Up until my MythTv FE/BE died I had been running an nVidia GT 520 video card
using the akmod drivers and VDPAU. It's worked fine as far as I can tell. But
I see support is Legacy now so I've wondered if I might benefit from a newer
card.

But there are lots of cards in https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/unix/
legacy-gpu/ that my local shop still offers for sale, toward the cheaper end
of cards. It looks like GT-8xxx and below are all Legacy.

My local shop seems to have the GT1030-2G-CSM as its cheapest non-Legacy
fanless card, which, coincidentally looks just like the GT520 I have (and the
GS8400 I mistakenly put in when I rebuilt the box in a rush after it died).

Meanwhile, a GT710 card is half the price but still Legacy.

The 8400 is definitely not as good as the 520, but I'm wondering, since I have
to put the 520 back in anyway, if there's a reason to upgrade to a newer card.

All I do is feed a 23" monitor from DVI and a 22" monitor from HDMI for
watching TV. I watch a lot of sports, so VDPAU is important.

Other than "newer", would I benefit from a newer card?

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca