List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] HDHR on non-master backend
From:       Mike Perkins <mikep () randomtraveller ! org ! uk>
Date:       2009-01-17 10:41:24

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 12:44 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric@lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 3:29 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> While I agree technically in practice something isn't right. If it was
>>> I'd never hear my 16 year old son playing an on-line game scream when
>>> I stream using the Roku NetFlix player and his ping jumps way up, but
>>> he does.
>> Ah, but that's completely different.  You aren't talking about your
>> local 100Mbit or 1000Mbit lan anymore, but your connection to the
>> greater Internet through your service provider.  That's a much smaller
>> pipe, regardless of what your service provider's advertising may
>> claim.
>>
>> As long as the HDHR is restricted to a switched local network using
>> current technologies (not going through some old 10Mbit hub), you
>> shouldn't have much trouble with it.
>>
>> Eric
>
> Yeah, you're probably right but he complains at times even when we use
> Myth. Just not as often.

If he complains when you are just using ordinary Myth, then you *definitely*
have some kind of configuration problem, non-Myth related. I have a somewhat
similar configuration, with an on-line gaming son, and he never notices the myth
usage, and we don't notice him on-line. On my bandwidth stats myth barely raises
a bump in the graph. My hardware isn't the expensive kind, either, just a £30
100Mb switch.

--

Mike Perkins