List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] Slightly OT: rsync backup from mythbox ->
From:       "Bobby Gill" <bobbygill () rogers ! com>
Date:       2008-11-03 1:53:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> NFS by default does not allow the root user on the client to have root
> permissions on the server.  This is because there are lots of uses for
> NFS where you may not fully trust the person who administers the client.
> As a result, by default NFS maps the root user to the user "nobody".
>
> You can turn this off by putting "no_root_squash" in the line in
> /etc/exports that defines your NFS share.  This will give root users on
> the client actual root file permissions on the server.  For example,
> here's a line from /etc/exports on my MythTV box:
>
> /var/video
> 192.168.10.0/24(rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure,no_subtree_check)<http://192.168.10.0/24%28rw,sync,no_root_squash,insecure,no_subtree_check%29>
>
> (That should be all one line, but the email client wrapped it.)
>
> > I'm very open to the idea of an rsync server, what would that consist
> > of?
>
> Start with 'man rsyncd.conf'; that should get you started.  The details
> of how to get rsync to launch in daemon mode automatically depend a bit
> on your Linux distribution; if you mention which one you're using I may
> already know how to do it, since I've set up a few.

Thanks a bunch David, I changed my /etc/exports and now she's syncing fine
with sudo.

I am using Arch linux. I have various rsync commands in my crontab, .bashrc,
etc. set to run daily and they go just fine-- is that what we're talking
about? I think by "rsync server" I am taking it to mean another location to
rsync to.

Thanks very much
Bob