List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] Bresnan digital cable capture options
From:       "Kevin Kuphal" <kkuphal () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-30 21:51:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Shane Hickey <shane@howsyournetwork.com>wrote:

> Hello all,
>        I've been running my mythtv setup, until recently, with Hauppage 150
> and 500 cards.  This was fine and dandy until I decided to upgrade to
> digital cable.  I decided to get an HDTV/DVR STB from my provider, Bresnan,
> so that I could at least watch/record TV while I tried to figure out how to
> capture with my MythBox again.  The STB they provided is the Pace TDC 775D.
>        So... here's my question.  It seems like I can capture TV using one
> of several methods.  I'm looking for advice as to the best method for my
> provider.  I should note that I really want to be able to capture
> showtime/hbo/encore/etc, as I am currently paying for those channels.  I
> would also like to capture HD channels, if possible.
>
> Option 1) Connect MythTV using existing Hauppage cards to the set top box.
>  Use IR blaster to change channels.  It seems like I won't be able to get HD
> channels with this setup.  Also, I fear the IR blaster config for some
> reason, I just expect my anger level to rise before I make it all work.

You can get HD channels, just captured in analog SD resolution.

> Option 2) Connect to set top box using firewire and get channels that way?
>  I don't know a lot about this method, but it seems like this will only get
> me non-encrypted channels?  Also, based on some reading I found in some user
> forum somewhere, it seems like Bresnan is starting to encrypt more and more
> of their channels.

Correct.  It may work, but you may be unhappy with the channel selection

> Option 3) Install some sort of HD tuner card in the Myth box.  Something
> like an HD-3000.  My question here, though, is if the premium channels are
> still going to be unavailable?

True, but this will only net you the unencrypted QAM stations, likely to be
the same as option 2.

> I apologize if there are some major concepts that I'm not getting or
> referencing in the wrong terms.
>
> I currently have DVR capabilities with my STB, but I really, really miss
> MythTV.  I especially miss not being able to skip commercials.  I'm also
> starting to go mad from the tiny boxes in every guide or menu talking at me
> and selling me stuff.  I need the nice quiet menus of MythTV again. ;)
>
> Thanks for any help in advance,

Your other option is the Hauppauge HD-PVR which will capture in HD analog
via the component outputs.  There is rudimentary support for this in Myth's
SVN code and you will need a significantly beefed up PC to play it (H.264
capture, etc).   Search the archives for HD-PVR and you'll see what I'm
talking about.  But, this is the one method that gets you all your HD
stations in HD capture (digital -> analog, but still) as long as your STB
outputs HD stations on the analog HD outputs.

Kevin