List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] HDTV solution @1080i ???
From:       Preston Crow <pc-mythtv07a () crowcastle ! net>
Date:       2008-05-30 20:55:11

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 16:43 -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Preston Crow
> <pc-mythtv07a@crowcastle.net> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 10:53 -0400, Tom Dexter wrote:
> >> Mine is:
> >>
> >> 1) nVidia GeForce 7100GS
> >> 2) Hitachi 51F500 Rear Projection CRT
> >> 3) DVI (to DVI on the TV)
> >>
> >> Outputting 1080i content at 1080i without de-interlacing and without
> >> tearing issues simply isn't possible with the nVidia Linux
> >> drivers...period.
> >
> > Yes it is.
> >
> > It requires using the 8776 drivers, which don't work with newer video
> > cards, but with my old 5200FX card (AGP), it works great.  I get a
> > beautiful 1080i picture without deinterlacing or any other
> > post-processing.

> Yup...all the awful catch-22's of this are starting to come back to me :D...
>
> My frontend has only PCI Express slots, and there simply aren't any
> such cards made that will work with 8776.
>
> Just curious...does the 8776 driver also limit what kernel version you
> can use?  It seems to me that even some of the newer drivers didn't
> work with 2.6.23 without a patch.

I'm running 2.6.22.19.  And I'm running xorg-server-1.3.0.0.  I would
like to upgrade both, but I'm expecting nVidia to break, so I'm not
trying.  They have an older legacy driver that they have updated, so I
may try falling back to that, and then upgrading.

I'm also thinking about getting a new system.  I want to continue to
have 1080i output without deinterlacing, and AGP won't be an option
anymore.  Do the the Radeon or Intel drivers handle this correctly?