List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] wireless frontend?
From:       "Nelson Tang" <tang () cs ! ucla ! edu>
Date:       2006-07-13 15:48:28

On 7/12/06, Brian Wood <beww@beww.org> wrote:

> On Jul 12, 2006, at 12:30 PM, Nelson Tang wrote:
>
> > I'd like to add a data point to this discussion.  I'm using a backend
> > over wireless (a pair of WRT54 routers running OpenWRT connected to
> > each other).  I transcode my SD video down to MPEG4 and end up at
> > roughly 750MB/hr, which is a little artifact-y but seldom is it
> > distractingly so.  I've run as many as 3 frontends simulatenously (1
> > wired to the "receiving" wireless router, 2 wireless) and have very
> > nearly NO hiccups at all.  This is all on 802.11g and using the
> > simple-to-make parabolic antenna reflectors found at
> > http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html (the Ez-12
> > antenna, which honestly took me about 15 minutes to print, glue, cut
> > out, and fold).
> >
> > Before I used these reflectors, I would have problems getting even one
> > frontend to play flawlessly, and I would have frequent disconnections
> > (especially if someone started up the microwave).  Once I put these
> > reflectors onto my wireless antennas, I honestly can't even remember
> > having any hiccups at all during playback.  If you're thinking about
> > using wireless, I highly recommend these reflectors to boost your
> > signal - especially for my situation, where my backend is down in the
> > basement and there's only one direction I need to radiate my wireless
> > signal.
>
> Thanks for that info. I'd heard good reports from users of the
> "Pringles" style antennas but this is the first I'd heard of the
> easier-to-make pseudo-parabolic reflectors.
>
> Of course it depends on several factors, if the source of your
> interference is "on-axis" to your antennas they can actually make
> things worse.
>
> Of course going with MPEG-4 is going to help a lot as well, since you
> don't have to push as many bits as with mpeg-2.
>
> The one thing you didn't mention is the distance between your
> antennas, I'd be curious as to what range you are getting.

The backend is in the basement, then there's a ground floor in
between, and the other router is upstairs.  I'd guess it's a total
distance of about 20-25 feet.  Thankfully there doesn't seem to be
very much interference from any of my neighbors; but, like I
mentioned, when I initially set it up without the reflectors my
wireless signal was pretty flaky.

I agree that running wires through the house is relatively inexpensive
and extremely reliable.  However, I very much like the roaming
flexibility the wireless setup gives me.  I will often start up Myth
on my laptop and bring it with me to the kitchen if I'm working in
there, or out to the backyard and use MythMusic, etc.

--nelson