List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] widespread reports of (sort of) the same failures
From:       Ivor Hewitt <ivor () ivor ! org>
Date:       2004-11-30 21:21:57

Jim Gifford wrote:
>> There is one common thread.  The errors ALWAYS occur on re-entry to a
>> video mode.  Never on the first pass.  Now I ask, "what is different
>> upon re-entry vs. initial entry?".  I would be happy to investigate
>> further, if I knew where to start.  Any ideas on where the differences
>> might lie?

Firstly has this been brought up on the ivtv lists?

Well the difference is not necessarily that it is "doing something
different" the second time around.
More likely scenarios are:
1. that something either hasn't been closed down correctly after the
first run
2. that some resource has been locked and not freed correctly after the
first run
3. that something has been closed down "too properly" after the first
run and isn't getting reinitialised.

Next do you have any options for increasing the verbosity of the logging
in the ivtv driver?

Finally what happens if you unload and reload all of the ivtv drivers
after the first run?

Ivor.