List:       mythtv-users
Subject:    Re: [mythtv-users] MythTV, minor sound issue, major video issue
From:       Marius Kjeldahl <marius () kjeldahl ! net>
Date:       2003-07-18 11:28:24

On Thursday 17 July 2003 18:35, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2003 11:05 am, Marius Kjeldahl wrote:
> > 1. Sound issue
> >
> > When MythTV starts up and I go in and watch live tv, sound is not
> > enabled. Simply switching channel seems to activate sound, but I would
> > guess it should be on by default. The only clue I have found about sound
> > from the backend is this message:
>
> That's an ivtv driver issue, bring it up on their mailing list.

I tried, but the ivtv list does not like the fact that I am on a variable IP
(even though my domain name is fixed), so until they relax their requirements
or I get an emal account on a "permanent" server, I can not join the lists
there.

> > 2. Video issue
> >
> > Watching live tv works great, even pause/unpause livetv. However, all
> > recordings that have been scheduled from the program guide seems to be
> > blank (includig no sound). When I try to play recordings, the screen
> > briefly flashes blue and then shows all black. I've tried various
> > recordings on various channels but they all fail. I have no problem
> > watching live tv - only the recordings fail. I have found no indications
> > in the output from the backend that it is having problems recording, and
> > apart from the missing sound and video, it actually stores a recording
> > (all black, no sound).
>
> Sounds like you may have set up a input on the card other than the tuner
> (or the input you want) with the same mapping -- ie, some people have
> wrongly told every single input on the card (in the 4th section of setup)
> to be connected to the same video source.  When it goes to live-tv, it uses
> the default input (generally the tuner), but when it goes to record, it
> picks the first input that's mapped to that channel, and you get a blank
> recording.

This was exactly what was happening. By default, MythTV set up both Composite
0 and Tuner 0 to my default feed. Using MythTV, I had told it to use Tuner 0,
but recording still defaulted to Composite 0 like you described. I ran setup
and removed the Composite 0 mapping, and it works like a charm now.

In short, everything works fine now, but recordings are a bit low quality. As
soon as the PAL issues with the ivtv driver are solved or I figure out how to
tweak my Athlon XP 2800 nForce2 system to be able to capture 576x576 without
missing frames, recording quality should improve.

Thanks for the help.

Marius K.